FIASTRA


 

CHURCH OF SAN PAOLO

Chiesa di San Paolo Located in the centre of the walls of the Magalotti Castle, the Romanesque church is originally from the 11th century. Portale della Chiesa di San Paolo The facade has undergone successive modifications, as attested by lateral spurs, a recent bell tower and modern windows in place of rose windows. The gothic doorway of white stone and a small cross are original. The interior has three naves with a trussed ceiling. The arches and columns with slender capitals on the left are made of brick; the columns on the right and in the apse are made from stone. The chapel on the left preserves a painting on canvas of the “Conversion of Saint Paul” by Baciccia.

SANCTUARY OF BEATO UGOLINO

Santuario del Beato Ugolino (Frazione Fiegni) The present day church is the remains of an ancient Benedictine monastery dedicated to San Giovanni. In the 1300s the church was abandoned, therefore coming under the plebale church of San Flaviano, erected afterwards nearby. The title of S.Ugolino was taken on after the body of the Beato was deposited there in 1373, and the church became a place of worship for the residents of Fiegni. In 1582 the church of SS Giovanni e Ugolino obtained the jurisdiction over the Pieve di S. Flaviano. The church is known today as the Sanctuary of Beato Ugolino. Beato Ugolino was born in 1400, son of the nobleman Magalotto IV; after becoming an orphan he dedicated himself to the life of a pious hermit. Recently a small church in his honour was built at the site were Ugolino would go to pray, near a natural spring. Notwithstanding several different restorations, the external structure of the sanctuary retains a large part of the original Romanesque architectural elements of the church, including a rose window above a lovely white stone doorway and the bell tower. The interior has two naves: the principal nave, with a trussed ceiling, ends with the apse, while the left nave has a sloping roof. Both naves are divided by two arches and pillars, and the apse is covered in frescoes from the 1400s to the 1700s.

CHURCH OF MADONNA DEL SASSO BIANCO (MADONNA OF THE WHITE STONE)

Chiesa della Madonna del SassoBianco Possibly dating from the 15th century, it was dependent on the church of S. Lorenzo. Tradition has it that this little chapel was built in memory of a wanderer who died during a snowstorm on his way to Sarnano.

MONKS’ CAVERN (GROTTA DEI FRATI)

Grotta dei Frati A cavern of Karstic origin located on the south side of M. Fiegni, at about 600 m. of altitude, where there is a peaked rock on the Gole del Fiastrone. Previously a place of prayer for the Benedictines, from the 1200s it was inhabited by the Clareni monks, dissidents of the Franciscan order, who built a tiny church dedicated to S. Egidio, known from 1234, and subsequently called “S. Maria Maddalena de Specu”. Whether for the drying up of the spring or for the suppression of small communities, the monks were forced to leave the little convent in 1652. After that it was affiliated with the convent of Colfano, but in reality abandoned. Some years ago the cavern was excavated by removing the mud and detritus that obstructed it to return it to its original condition. On the outside of the cavern some ruins of ancient shelters built by the monks are visible. The inside is made up of a central cavity that widens on the right, where the little chapel built by the friars stands, with an ogive arch and cuspidate front. Built on a rectangular plan, with a cross vault divided by four terracotta ribs. The cavern extends behind the shrine, to rise upwards and then become narrower until it is impassable. The remains of the walls would indicate that this area may have been inhabited. To the left of the entrance there is a primitive stone altar, and opposite this a smaller cavern that was used as a cistern.

CHURCH OF SAN MARCO IN COLPOLINA

Chiesa di San Marco in Colpolina (Fraz. S. Marco)
Recognized as a “plebale” church, in the past it was known as Montezzano, and dates back to the 11th century. It has a Romanesque doorway in white stone. The interior structure is made up of a single nave with a altar raised above the floor level of the church. The interesting crypt is divided into three apsed naves; the central nave is further divided into three sections by columns in pink stone. The capitals on these columns have particular decorations that are not related to the Italian Romanesque style.

CHIESA DI SAN LORENZO

Sorge sulle rive del Lago di Fastra. Essa ha un’unica navata centrale divisa in due aule; la minore, che é la più antica, si ritiene sia stata eretta sulle rovine di un tempio pagano, tra i secoli XI e XII. Essa presenta una volta a sesto, le cui pareti hanno recentemente svelato resti di pitture romaniche del XII sec. Le decorazioni si sviluppano in due zone; in quella a destra, la più preziosa, si può ammirare un Cristo raffigurato per tre volte entro spazi delimitati da colonnine ed archi, mentre inferiormente vi sono fasce orizzontali, con decorazioni ridotte a frammenti, e figure animalesche. Si tratta di uno dei cicli pittorici più antichi delle Marche.La chiesa conserva anche affreschi della scuola pittorica camerinese del XV sec. e tele del ‘700.