The typically fortified medieval settlements have given way, in recent centuries, to rural villages which, thanks to safer living conditions and the development of agriculture, were built down in the valleys rather than up in the hills. Fiordimonte, which still has a predominantly agricultural economy, is a classic example of this evolution - rural village that have grown up below a fortified castle whose ruined walls are still visible. MORE DETAILES
TO VISIT : You can admire a section of the walls and an entrance gate of the ancient castle of Cornacuna (1) The church of St Anthony, built inside the fortification, is well preserved. The interior is adorned with fine frescoes by Girolamo di Giovanni. Town Hall (2) . Fra le numerose chiese che sorgono nel comune meritano una visita quella di S. Sebastiano di Villanova dove è conservata una statua lignea policroma del ’400, quella di Alfi che custodisce un trittico di Nobile di Francesco da Lucca, datato 1513, e la Parrocchiale di Nemi stands on the banks of the river. Of the many churches in the municipality, the following are worth visiting: the church of St Sebastian in Villanova, which houses a 15th century polychrome wooden statue, the church of Alfi, containing a triptych by Nobile di Francesco da Lucca dated 1513, and the parish church of Nemi which conserves a series of images by Paolo da Visso from 1447 and a Boccati painting of an enthroned Madonna adoring the Baby Jesus and Saints Macario and Matthew.
The Sibylline Mountains have hosted settlements since prehistory and seen the succession of various cultures. In Pievebovigliana there are traces of man dating back to extremely ancient times: Remains of settlements, Neolithic crockery and earthenware from the Iron Age tell us that primitive man chose this valley for his home. Even the origin of the name "Pievebovigliana" contains centuries of history, said to consist of two words, the first of which bears witness to the presence of a parish already existing in the 11th century while the second can be traced back to an ancient word linked to the presence of the Gauls in the area. MORE DETAILES
TO VISIT In the hamlet of San Maroto stands the 9th century church of St Just object of international studies due to its historical and architectural interest. Near the church you can cross ù the 13th century Romanesque bridge which rests on Roman foundations; a few hundreds of meter the church of St Crucifix intentional from St Francis. Not far away is the castle of Beldiletto , founded by Giovanni Spaccalferro in 1380, where kings, queens and popes, such as Julius II, came to stay. The church of St Mary of the Assumption , one of the most famous Romanesque monuments in the Marche region of Italy, has a beautiful Romanesque crypt. The The R. Campelli Museum , in the Town Hall (1) , houses ancient artefacts and valuable local art. Across piazza Vittorio Emanuele (2) is the ancient parish church of St Mary of the Assumption (3) .
Copyright © 2001-2007 Parco Nazionale dei Monti Sibillini
Tutti i diritti riservati - All rigths reserved
Revised -- 01/25/2007