Castello di Montemonaco System of fortification in defence of a village. This mountain village has been a historical crossroads between Marche and Umbria and the domain was contested for many years by the two states, even though it has almost always remained independent. Founded between the 9th and 10th centuries as a Benedictine garrison, over the next centuries it was neccessary to protect the inhabitants of the town. The system of protection was built starting in the 13th century and was articulated with arenaceous walls and a fort. Some portions of the defensive walls have became part of later buidings, while what remains of the fort, erected in the high part of the town, are some walls and retangular corner towers. Some of the finishings have disappeared although the ancient wall slits used for defence are still visibile.


Montemonaco - cinta muraria The original walls were likely built in the 10th century, out of arenaceous rock, and later armed with towers when the Castle was built, which in 1190 was part of the holdings of the Nobles of M. Passillo, and was recorded as Castrum Mons Monaci in 1283. In the 14th century the walls were extended. From 1545 statutes it is evident that there were three gates: San Biagio Gate (still well preserved) near the church of S. Benedetto, San Lorenzo Gate (completely demolished) at the "Palazzaccio" of the Garulli Counts, and San Giorgio Gate, at the entrance to the town facing Amandola (of which there is no trace today). When these gates lost their defensive function, they were partially dismantled to construct private dwellings. Today some lengths of the wall are visible, interspersed with sturdy towers of arenaceous stone, partially disintegrated over the centuries.