ARQUATA DEL TRONTO


 

CHURCH OF SAN FRANCESCO

Chiesa di San Francesco Part of a small monastery that after 1866 was relegated to living quarters. The original building, dating back to the 13th century, underwent continuous remodelling up until the 1500s. During its restoration in 1980 two pre-Romanesque bas reliefs were discovered under the plasterwork; today these are displayed high up on the façade. The church preserves l'Extractum ab originali of the Sacred Sindone, as well as a polychrome wooden crucifix from 1440 and an imposing wooden alter from 1600.

CHURCH OF SAN SALVATORE

Chiesa di San Salvatore Preserves an ancient polychrome wooden Christ and Crucifix, representative of Romanesque art of the 13th century.

CHURCH OF THE MADONNA DEL SOLE

Chiesa della Madonna del Sole (FRAZIONE CAPODACQUA) An octagonal church from the 1500s, built by Nicola Falesio, also known as Cola d’Amatrice, who is also the author of a painting of the Annunciation in the interior. The date 1550 is inscribed above the auxiliary entrance to the church.

CHURCH OF DI S.AGATA

Chiesa di Sant'Agata (frazione Spelonga) Holding the title of parish church, it was built in the second half of the 1400s. The external structure is on a rectangular plan and has an arenaceous doorway, a later addition to the building, that does however preserve some renaissance style elements. The interior has a trussed ceiling and preserves several interesting paintings and sculptures. Almost all of the artworks come from the church of S. Maria di Collepiccioni, destroyed in 1933: some tempera paintings of the 17th century, a 15th century group of figures in terracotta on the high altar, various frescoes from the end of the 1400s attributed to Panfilo da Spoleto, and the famous Turkish flag with an Islamic coat of arms, which according to tradition was taken from the enemies of the Spelongani who took part in the Battle of Lepanto in 1571. On the walls are other frescoes that were originally commissioned for the church of S. Agata by the Pichini family.

CHURCH OF THE S.S. ANNUNZIATA

Chiesa della SS Annunziata Preserves an ancient polychrome wooden Christ and Crucifix, representative of Romanesque art of the 13th century.

CHURCH OF MADONNA DELLA NEVE

Chiesa della Madonna della Neve (Frazione Faete)