CASTELSANTANGELO SUL NERA


 

CHURCH OF SAN MARTINO

Chiesa di San Martino The church stands at the centre of the frazione of Gualdo. It dates from the end of the 1200s, and has a Romanesque style, as can be seen from the decoration and arches of the bell tower. The single vaulted nave has a large archway that divides the body of the church, reserved for worshippers, from the apse; in the last niche of the apse there is a polychrome wooden crucifix from the Vissani school of stone-cutters and wood-carvers. On the high alter there is a wooden tabernacle from the 1500s, and a fresco from 1582 by the Angelucci and Poggini on the left.

CHURCH OF SAN SEBASTIANO

Chiesa di San Sebastiano (known as the Bridge Church) Built as an oratory in 1528 from the plans of Pietro da Tolentino. The fašade has a round window and an elegant doorway in carved stone; above the window the date 1576 is inscribed, it is most likely the date that the building was enlarged. The interior has a single nave, with a cottage roof supported by two archways. It preserves some frescoes from the schools of the Mevalese, of Poggini and F. Angelucci of the 16th century. The apse has other frescoes by Angelucci from 1602.

CHURCH OF SANTO STEFANO

Chiesa di Santo Stefano Built prior to 1253, the Romanesque style of the church is represented by the well-preserved bell tower. Chiesa di Santo Stefano - Portale At a later date the building was lengthened, and the fašade was redone in the 1700s; the stone doorway is semi-ogive. The original side doorway is a gothic arch supported by trapezoidal mouldings and ending in two stone lion heads. The interior has a single vaulted nave and a baptismal font carved in the 1300s, a 1521 fresco by P. Bontulli (a follower of Paolo da Visso), and a wooden polygonal tabernacle from the 1600s.

MONASTERY OF SAN LIBERATORE

Monastero di San Liberartore Surrounded by massive castle walls, the monastery interior is a pattern of vaults and narrow corridors of rough-hewn stone. The precious chapel has painting from the Umbrian school of the 1400s-1500s and many frescoes, most of which are attributed to Paolo da Visso.

CHURCH OF SANTA MARIA ASSUNTA

Chiesa di Santa Maria Assunta (Frazione Vallinfante) The 13th century church of S. Maria stands among the last houses in the frazione of Vallinfante. With a single nave and apse with a richly decorated baroque wooden altar from the 1600s with an anonymous mannerist painting on canvas at its centre. The walls are covered in frescoes attributed to the school of P. da Visso.