Abbazia di San Salvatore (FRAZIONE MONASTERO) Believed to have been founded in 1009 by S. Romualdo, based on a document written by S. Pier Damiani, which attests that the Camaldolese friar erected three abbeys in that year, one of which at the “Escolano”; Maceratese historians have identified this name with a hill near S. Ginesio, and so claim the site of the Abbey to be in the Valley of Fiastrone. Since there is no mention in records of that time, only architectural motifs attest to the ties between this monastery and Ravenna models, which in some way are evidence of origins linked to Romualdo. The building has been variously remodelled and has lost its original characteristics. From the primitive church the central nave remains; the left nave collapsed and the right nave was transformed into a series of loggias and housing. Restorations in 1960 removed every entrance from the façade, from which it can be surmised that there was an ancient portico in front of the building with two small lateral towers in the Ravenna style. The trussed roof is a recent addition.


Chiesa di san Benedetto (Frazione Montalto) An ancient church annexed to the Castle of Montalto, built before the year 1000 by Benedictine monks, as attested by its dedication to the saint. It was erected in a lower level of the fortress, of which it was in any case included. The church and the parsonage have been restored; ancient stone remnants and original windows can be found interspersed with newer windows. The interior of the church preserves some interesting frescoes by Andrea de Magistris: the one on the left wall shows the Mysteries of the Rosary, from 1526; the Virgin Mary and Child (Madonna col Bambino) and S. Antonio Abate are from 1544.


Chiesa di S. Maria del Soccorso (Frazione Villa di Montalto) Ancient parish church that served the Castle of Montalto, prior to 1468, and known as “S. Maria di Villa Je o Gege” (a name of Lombard origin). Documented in devises from 1541, it was known for bordering the “via Communis” on three sides; this street leads (still today) to the Castle of Montalto, to the Castle of Col di Pietra and S. Maria Maddalena (Grotta dei Frati (Monks’ cavern)). It preserves a valuable artwork: a fresco above the altar showing the Madonna della Misericordia, of clear Pierfrancescana influence, painted by Girolamo di Giovanni in 1468.


Chiesa di Sant'Andrea lThe parish church of Cessapalombo, defined in records as “ecclesia castri”, that is, the church inside the castle, likely coeval with the fortress erected in 1266. The church is mentioned in devises from 1494. The church is mentioned as “Pievania” only in 1694, in substitution of the church of S. Maria dell’Impollata, so-called because it stood in an area rich in natural springs (Colle di S. Maria, west of Cessapalombo); the latter was Pievebefore the Castle was erected and enjoyed great prominence in the area up until its abandonment. The church of S. Andrea underwent work on its façade at the end of the 1700s for damage caused by an earthquake, and more recent restoration in the 1950s, losing its original architectural elements in the process. A bell dated 1823 and polychrome wooden group of a figures from the 1400s representing the "Madonna dell’Impollata and Child", possibly by an artist from Marches were transferred from the church of S. Maria dell’Impollata to S. Andrea.