Pieve di Santa Maria Assunta The Romanesque style of the church positively identifies its construction as being in the period between the 11th and 12th centuries, at same time as the founding of other Pievi in the area. This assumption is proved by a memorial tablet discovered during restorations in the 1800s. The tablet has a date that possibly refers to the year of consecration: 1162. The title and privileges of the Pieve were confirmed by acts from 1218 and later records from the 1400s. The oldest parts are the oriental apse with single lancet windows and the eastern stone wall, which has defensive slits, two single lancet windows and a closed gothic door. The church was drastically remodelled in the 1700s: the façade was completely hidden from the rectory, and the west wall flanked later constructions; the bell tower was erected in this period. The interior of the church has undergone remodelling several times for static reasons, and has included the lowering of the roof, but also changes in style, such as the new furnishings and the closure of the stairwell to the crypt. The church preserves several paintings on canvas from this period of restoration.

Romanesque crypt of the Pieve di S. Maria
Cripta della Pieve di Santa Maria Assunta Dating back to the same period as the Parish, but only discovered in 1922, following “Plebal” restorations, which uncovered an entire underground environment, complete with a cellar, built in the materials of the original construction. The crypt is divided by four orders of columns with various capitals, that form five small naves, ending in little apses. The four columns at the altar are of recovered Roman material: they are of piperino, which is only found in Lazio; furthermore the many archaeological finds reinforce the hypothesis of a previous pagan temple and Roman funerary monuments. The crypt contains two memorial tablets with epigraphs, one of which dates back to the 2nd century a. C., and a fresco in the central apse that illustrates S. Lucia, that could be attributed to Arcangelo di Cola around 1420-1425.


Chiesa di San Giusto (frazione San Maroto) A singular example of Romanesque architecture in the Marches. It was erected between 1050 and 1200. It did not have the title of Parish, but it was the church of the Castle of the Feudal Lords of S. Maroto. Although it is coeval with other Romanesque churches in Marches, such as S. Vittore di Genga, S. Maria di Portonovo and S. Claudio al Chienti, and though it shares the same central-planned structure, S. Giusto is distinguished by its singular circular architecture. It is a cylinder half as high as its diameter, over which stands the cupola. In the cylindrical body there are four apses with semi-cupolas; both of these are ornamented with polychrome hanging arches. The cupola does not rest on pillars but rises from the circular wall and is made from concentric rings. The particular shape of the building has not permitted important modifications to the interior, additions have been added only externally: at the end of the 13th century the bell tower was erected against the entryway, and the sacristy and rectory were built in 14th century. The interior of the church is bare, also because the baroque period plasterwork was removed in a recent restoration. The ground floor of the tower preserves some frescoes. The oldest of these is a fragment of a Virgin Mary and Child (Madonna col Bambino) dated 1373, from the Camerino school, A S. Venanzo of the Rimini school and a Madonna del Rosario by Venanzo da Camerino, dated 1530.


(Frazione Poggio) A small, isolated church, standing at 1112 m. of altitude on the slopes between Poggio della Pagnotta and M. Fiegni. Of very ancient origin, tracable to Romanesque canons, it preserves very few fragments of painting that reveal a half-bust of a Crucifix and the upper part of a Mary Magdalene, in which it is possible to recognize the hand of Cola di Pietro, who may have painted them in 1370-1380.