PRECI


 

ABBEY OF SANT'EUTIZIO

Abbazia di Sant'Eutizio (Frazione Piedivalle) Certainly the oldest and most important religious complex in the Castoriana Valley. Abbazia di Sant'Eutizio According to tradition, in the 5th century some monks, including Eutizio and Spes, withdrew themselves into hermitage in the steep cliff behind the present day Abbey, to found several hermitages and a primitive oratory dedicated to the Virgin Mary. The original monastic cells, carved into the rock, are still visible in the wall above the church. In the 8th century, under the directives of S. Benedetto, they built a monastery by enlarging the original oratory and making use of the presbytery. In 1190 there was a further addition, as indicated by the lunette above the doorway; the work continued until 1236 and included a lovely rose window on the facade, a triangular tympanum, a trussed roof and two delicate double lancet windows in the cloister, uniting the churchĺs pure Romanesque style into gothic shapes. A later modification to the back of the church took place in the 14th century, which saw the creation of the crypt and the apse. The interior underwent restoration in the 1940s, after which all baroque elements were eliminated. It has a single nave with a raised apse and a wooden choir. Several paintings line the walls; one is a Crucifix of Pomarancio. The presbytery was raised in the 14th century to make room for the crypt; it is delimited by an ogive triumphal arch and crossed by four ribs. The ribbed apse has a mausoleum from the 1500s by Rocco da Vicenza, surrounded by the wooden choir of 1519. Behind the altar there is a Crucifix on panel by Nicola da Siena from the 15th century. Two doors on the side of the presbytery lead into the crypt, which has three naves with cross vaults, supported by two large columns that were recovered from the original oratory.

CHURCH OF THE MADONNA DELLA PESCHIERA

Chiesa della Madonna della Peschiera Standing on the site of an ancient oratory likely from the year 1243. The building was later enlarged and improved in the 16th century to take on a Renaissance imprint, and was the work of the community who held patronage. In the 1700s it had three altars: the high altar, one of the SS. Salvatore and one dedicated to the Laurentana Virgin. The church preserved a painting by F. Angelucci from 1598, later covered by a panel in 1942.

PIEVE DI SANTA MARIA DI PRECI O DELLA PIETA'

Chiesa di Santa Maria della PietÓ The church has a Romanesque structure and was built as the same time as the castle. The large, irregular structure contains the square-shaped presbytery, the wooden choir, the side chapels, the chancel and the organ from the 18th century.

CHURCH OF S.S. NICOLA E EGIDIO

Chiesa deiSanti Nicola e Egidio (Frazione Poggio di Croce) The church took on its double name after the abandonment and descent into ruin of the church of S. Nicola. Recorded as early as 1393, the patronage was conceded to the Community in 1514. The entrance is a nartex with 15th century frescoes illustrating a Madonnina and a giant S. Cristoforo, attributed to Paolo da Visso. The fašade was reconstructed in 1570; a square-shaped bell tower is annexed to the church. The interior preserves a baptismal font from 1563, a holy water basin from 1579 and a wooden statue of S. Egidio from the 16th century. The artistic jewel of the church however, is a 1385 painting on wood panel of the Annunciation by Giovanni del Biondo in a chapel built in the 14th century, enlarged in the 16th century and enriched with a wooden altar in 1606.

CHURCH OF SAN GIOVANNI BATTISTA

Chiesa di San Giovanni Battista (Frazione Piedivalle) The church was built prior to the 13th century, but underwent a radical transformation in 1520, when its surface area was doubled. The small plain facade has a doorway from 1535. Inside the iron gates with a stone entryway it is possible to see the two parts of the church built in different periods: the older section is made up of the presbytery with a small apse and two small single lancet windows; the nave is the more recent section. The cross vaults of the hall were frescoed by da G. M. Seneca in 1535; along the two walls there are other votive paintings by the local painter Paolo Marini.

CHURCH OF SAN LAZZARO AND LEPER HOSPITAL

Chiesa di san Lazzaro (Fraz. S. Lazzaro in Valloncello) (Frazione S. Lazzaro in Valloncello) The buildings that surround the church were an ancient leper hospital, dating back to 1218, as indicated by the date inscribed on the arch of a door leading to the block of buildings. The hospital of S. Lazzaro originated with a donation made by a local Lord to the chaplain of di S. Cataldo, to build a church, a hospital and a hospice for pilgrims. In 1344 The frati Minori were called in to direct the Lazzaretto; in 1449 it was ceded to the City of Norcia after its abandonment by the Franciscans. The church dates back to the 14th century, in a Romanesque style, with two naves and slender shape. It has a ribbed cross vault that leans on hanging shelves, supported by a central column. Today only the front right nave is part of the church as the rest is taken up by storage space.

CHURCH OF SANTO SPES

Chiesa di Santo Spes (Frazione Saccovescio) The oldest church in the frazione, as recorded in a bishops bull of 1350. It has two altars dedicated to the Saint and the Madonna del Rosario. Of the Romanesque structure only a small apse and a single lancet window remain.

CHURCH OF SANT'ANDREA

Chiesa di Sant'Andrea Built at the same time of the first hospital dedicated to the apostle on the directions of the town, who obtained authorization from the Bishop of Fermo in 1421. ln 1602 the Brotherhood of the Buona Morte moved into the church. The present day church dates back to the second half of the 18th century; the facade is in a neoclassical style.