CESSAPALOMBO
The forest village

For centuries, forests have been the main resource of the mountains. Forests are the place for charcoal burning and delicacies like mushrooms and truffles. It was near the forest that the first urban settlements were built. One of these is Cessapalombo which takes its name from the ancient Latin term caesa, or silva caesa, meaning cut-down forest. This town, dating back to the 3rd-4th century BC, was built in an area of dense forest and has developed over time in the form of several hamlets including Montalto, Valle, Villa, Tribbio and Monastero. MORE DETAILES




TO VISIT In piazza Vittorio Emanuele (1) thechurch of St Andrew (2) houses a precious 15th century wooden statue of the Virgin Mary with Child called the "Madonna dell’Impollata” and, behind the altar, a painting “Mater Misericordiae with horsemen” by Girolamo di Giovanni. In the surrounding area, the ruins of the Montalto Castle are worth visiting, being in an extremely panoramic position with views of the imposing ruined towers and walls and, not far away, the church of St. Benedict; In the Montalto hamlet stands thePalazzo Simonelli (3), which houses the Charcoal Burners Museum.Also worth visiting is the hamlet of Monastero where the abbey of the Holy Saviour is located, in an isolated position of the town. The abbey features a beautiful crypt with some works of art of great interest and a fresco of the Madonna with Child dating back to 1289-1330. The lawn in the public gardens (4) is the best place to stop for a rest.

alleria link Edifici di Culto link Castelli e Fortificazioni link Musei link Ospitalità Catering